July 24th, 2007

Who is Painting the Manhole Covers?

Posted in Canada, Public Space by Christopher DeWolf

dscf4442.JPG

dscf3735.JPG

I’m not just asking — I really want to know. Over the past month, somebody has painted dozens of manhole covers around Mile End, on Park Avenue, Bernard Street and St. Viateur Street. It’s quite a lovely endeavour, adding a bit of colour to the sidewalk while drawing attention to an overlooked but essential piece of civic infrastructure.

Tags: , ,

Both comments and pings are currently closed. RSS 2.0

11 comments

1. Rossana Tudo says:

this is awesome.

July 25th, 2007 at 12:16 pm

2. Ken Gildner says:

I really enjoy this kind of guerilla street art; if I may venture to say so, I find it a much more creative and constructive method of ‘tagging’ than your typical wall graffiti. However, I can envision politicians becoming outraged by this sort of thing because it might ‘distract oncoming motorists’, or something of the sort.

- Ken

July 25th, 2007 at 2:56 pm

3. Spacing Montreal » Spacing Montréal starts with a bang! says:

[...] to learn from each other’s city: Torontonians can watch the search for the artist behind beautifully painted images on sewer grates and Montrealers can check out the laneways that get turned into art [...]

July 25th, 2007 at 8:48 pm

4. French Panic says:

I don’t know who is doing the art, but the guy I live with heard an interview with the artist on the CBC last week. Apparently he chose “ice cream friendly” colours for the one on the corner of Bernard and Parc, when the Hassidic-hoppin ice creamery opened recently.

July 28th, 2007 at 6:52 pm

5. Christopher DeWolf says:

Do you know which CBC show it was?

July 29th, 2007 at 2:59 am

6. sirop says:

I think it’s Roadsworth’s work. He was arrested eventually for his “art” on Montreal streets. Still.. his art is amazing.

July 30th, 2007 at 10:13 pm

7. Neath says:

Very nice work- the artist should get a contract to do the whole city.

July 31st, 2007 at 1:08 am

8. french panic says:

I consulted my CBC expert and he cannot remember what show it was. But it was
    1. on the English CBC radio
    2. in the afternoon. on a weekday.

and…..my source man seems to vaguely remember that the artist asked permission from the city and they said yep. So maybe the city knows. or the Plateau mayor person. Or maybe that Mile End historical society will know. Or maybe Bob at the fruiterie. Or the people at the Navarino.

July 31st, 2007 at 11:03 am

9. gabe. says:

Here are some more of the manhole covers in Mile End:

August 5th, 2007 at 11:03 pm

10. Spacing Montreal » Mile End’s manhole covers: the mystery is solved! says:

[...] month I asked if anyone knew who was painting the manhole covers of Mile End. Slowly but surely, readers started offering some leads. One mentioned that she had [...]

September 1st, 2007 at 3:57 pm

11. Jean-Pierre says:

Franck Bragigand est l’auteur des Plaques de goût. le centre d’artistes Dare-Dare avait obtenu la permission de l’arrondissement pour faire ce projet. http://www.dare-dare.org/fr/evenements/franck-bragigand

February 10th, 2013 at 7:08 am